Thursday, August 11, 2011

I Can Sing a Rainbow

The other day Superman, Sweet Pea, Gram Gram, and I decided to go for a bike ride. As we started out we noticed some swirly, billowing clouds to the south that were moving in. (You know, kind of like "The Nothing" in the Neverending Story. And if you don't know what I'm referring to then you should go watch that movie right now. Yep, right now. Now. Go.) So, The Nothing was moving in but we decided to go for that ride anyway. We had already biked down the street and around the corner so we figured we would just ride fast so we could still get the exercise in before the rain started. Ha! The rains came down upon us...Gram Gram wears glasses and couldn't see anything so she turned around and started for home. The three of us kept riding in the rain. And after a while we were riding in the rain and the sun. It was so beautiful. We turned a corner and were heading in another direction when I glanced up in the sky and saw this:


Sweet Pea loves rainbows and as soon as this big, brilliant rainbow was pointed out to her began singing one of her favorite songs. "Red, and yellow, and pink, and green, purple, and orange, and blue..." Her little voice floated out of the bike trailer behind me on the rain soaked breeze. I smiled. I love that song too. I remember MY mom singing that song to me when I was little. I love that she loves it. When she was very little, singing to her was one of the few things that would calm her down. I sang to her every night. Lots of different songs but always the rainbow song. Hearing Sweet Pea sing it now, just the way she remembers from listening to it over and over, does the same thing for me. Calms me right down.

No comments:

Post a Comment