Sunday, April 3, 2011

My Fat Quarter Addiction Part VI: Project Organize

It seems, if I'm being completely honest, that I have stuff. Lots of stuff. And the open surfaces of counters, dressers, shelves, etc. seem to be places for me to put lots of baskets, and trays, and storage containers in which to organize and store my stuff. It's come to my attention that Superman has stuff too. And he needs places to put his stuff. So I made him trays. One for on top of the refrigerator, and one for on top of the dresser. Not much space for his stuff I know, but it's a start. This is what they looked like straight from the dollar bin at Target:




You can see I've already started applying several coats of black paint. Although one of Superman's favorite shirts is, in fact, pink, he wouldn't take too kindly to putting his manly stuff in a pink, polka dotted tray. I used black acrylic craft paint, because it's too cold to spray paint today.




Here's what they looked like all painted up. pretty nice. But, they needed a little punch, so I got the fat quarters out. One in a yellow print, and one in red that will coordinate with our kitchen. I also got the trusty Mod Podge. Ahhh, good ole' Mod Podge. I traced the tray and cut the fabric inside my lines. I painted Mod Podge all over the inside bottom of the trays and smoothed the fabric down. Then I added another coat of Mod Podge on top of the fabric. (I also painted Mod Podge on the sides of the tray on the inside, to seal the black acrylic. If he's going to throw stuff in there I want it to hold up and not chip after his keys hit the tray the first time.)








Here they are completed...They are pretty little things. And all for a couple bucks. You gotta love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment